Frequently Asked Questions

  • Program Structure & Courses

    Q: What does the master's program look like if a student wants to specialize in marketing at the University of Münster? What courses can I take / What courses do I have to take?

    A: You can find general information about the structure of the course of study here.  If you would like to ask detailed questions about the content of individual courses you should contact the persons who are in charge of the courses in question.

    Q: What does the program look like if a student wants to minor in a subject other than marketing? Which courses have to be taken?

    A: If you wish to minor in a subject other than marketing, you should get in touch with the center that is responsible for the subject you intend to study. The centers in question are as follows:

    Q: Is it theoretically possible to take third-semester courses in the first semester?

    A: Third-semester courses can be taken in the first semester. The same goes for examinations which students normally sit for in their third semester. It goes without saying, however, that courses build on each other and are organized in such a way as to ensure that the workload imposed on students is evenly distributed. Moving courses forward entails an additional workload in the first semester.

    Q: Which courses are on offer for students who have a special interest in selected marketing topics?

    A: Announcements about the number of courses dealing with selected marketing topics will be made in due course of time.

    Q: What can I do if courses in major and minor subjects clash?

    A: The MCM and the School of Business and Economics do their utmost to ensure that courses do not overlap. If a clash occurs, you should contact the MCM's student advisor, the persons in charge of the courses in question, or the academic coordinators. It should be noted that clashes of lectures and seminars are most likely to occur when courses are moved from the first to the third semester or vice versa.

    Q: Are examinations held in semesters in which relevant courses are not offered?

    A: As a rule, examinations are held every semester. However, repeat examinations can only be held when all the necessary coursework has been done in the preceding semester. Coursework includes case studies, term papers, presentations and the like.

  • Seminar Applications

    Which seminars are on offer at the MCM?

    As a rule, the MCM offers several seminars every semester. During the semester break an obligatory application procedure is carried out in the MCM. Details are announced in due course on the MCM homepage's News section and by your class representatives.

    How do I register for the seminars?

    An online application will be activated at the same time the news will be announced. You will have to rank all seminars in your preferred order and give several information. After closing the online application an MCM internal process for assigning all students to the seminars will be conducted. Subsequent all students will be informed about their seminar.

    When and for how long will the online application be activated?

    The application will be activated in Jun/Jul for the next winter semester and in Dec/Jan for the next summer semester. It will be online for about two weeks.

    "First come first serve"?

    Your applications will not be treated according to the principle "first come, first serve", but completely equally.

    Do I additionally have to register for my seminar at the examination office / in FlexNow?

    Yes, you always have to register for the early examination period. This is completely independent from the space of time of your seminar.

  • Semester Abroad / Stay Abroad

    Q: What exchange programms are offered by the School of Business and Economics in general and the MCM in particular?

    A: Information about exchange programs can be obtained from the International Relations Center, which is part of the School of Business and Economics.

    Q: How should I proceed in order to obtain accreditation of assessed coursework done at a foreign university?

    A: Information about the procedure that has to be followed can be obtained from the International Relations Center and the Examinations Office. Contact person at the MCM.

    Q: What is the maximum number of ECTS that I can obtain at a foreign university?

    A: The maximum number of ECTSthat can be obtained at a foreign university is 30.

  • The Master's Thesis

    Q: Who should I get in touch with in order to obtain information about master's theses at the MCM?

    A: If you would like to ask general questions about registration for a master's thesis, you should contact the Examinations Office or the MCM contact person. University institutes will answer questions about topic areas or areas of research in which you may be particularly interested.

  • Organizational Questions

    Q: Where can I get information about examination dates and enrolment for examinations?

    A: Information about examination dates and enrolment for examinations can only be obtained from the Examinations Office.

    Q: Who do I get in touch with if I have organizational problems (choosing a minor, temporary enrolment without a bachelor's degree certificate, etc.)?

    A: If you have organizational problems you should get in touch with the academic coordinators.

    Q: Which modules are accepted as free-choice electives? Who should I get in touch with, and when should I contact the person responsible for such matters?

    A: In order to ensure that a course is accepted as a free-choice elective, you have to contact the MCM contact person before the semester begins. Otherwise the course in question may not be accepted as a free-choice elective.