Ausgewählte Kapitel Schlüsselqualifikation - Presentation and Communication (SoSe 2023)
Field(s) of Study
|Thursday||12:00- 14:00||weekly||06.04.2023- 13.07.2023||Fürstenberghaus, F 102|
1. General Information
- Course in Bachelor's Program (PO 2018/PO 2022, Module „Schlüsselqualifikationen”, 2nd study year)
- Course assessment: Regular attendance and active participation, final presentation/report (3 LP)
2. Learning Objectives, Contents and Methodology
Learning Objective is to familiarize students with presentation techniques and the art of rhetoric, while simultaneously improving their knowledge of and proficiency in English.
- Bases of good communication, including content structure and logic, the use of voice, body language, and gestures.
- Specific presentation techniques, focusing on clear and precise use of the English language, as well as the use of slides, charts, and other visual media.
- Rhetoric: good and confident appearance, overcoming stage fright; preparation, planning, and use of content.
- The use of humor and other means of maintaining interest and attention, with a particular focus on the foreign language aspect.
- Improving your English: common mistakes made by Germans and how to prevent them. Some grammatical input, consideration of such issues as tenses, false friends, prepositions, and so on.
Methodology: The course will entail a combination of formal instruction and presentations by the group, with substantial feedback from the instructor. Presentation topics will be assigned in due course.
3. Application and Registration
- The number of participants is limited to 15 for didactic reasons.
- All seats will be allocated randomly. Application period: February 27 - March 19. You can apply here.
- Accepted participants still need to register at the examination office!
- Heigl, P. (2011): 30 Minuten Rhetorik, 20. Aufl., Offenbach 2011.
- Joan van Emden and Lucinda Becker (2016): Presentation Skills for Students, Macmillan Study Skills.
- Joshua Sonoda (2021): Presentation Skills: How To Give An Academic Presentation, Independently Published.
- P. Simon (2020): Zoom for Dummies, Published by for Dummies.
- Renz, K.-C. (2013): Das 1x1 der Präsentation: Für Schule, Studium und Beruf, Wiesbaden 2013.
- Siddons, S. (2008): The Complete Presentation Skills Handbook: How to Understand and Reach Your Audience for Maximum Impact and Success, 2008.
- Steele, W.R. (2009): Presentation Skills 201: How to Take It to the Next Level as a Confident, Engaging Presenter, 2009.
- Theo Theobald (2019): Develop Your Presentation Skills: How to Inspire and Inform with Clarity and Confidence, Kogan Page.
Material for the course will be provided via the respective Learnweb course. Subscription to the course will be possible without password shortly before the semester starts.
- Dr. Brian Joseph Bloch (responsible)
- Sertan Eravci (accompanying)